Moderated by : Andy B , Klingon , TheCaptain , bat400 , davidmorgan , Runemage , SolarMegalith , sem , Martin_L

The Megalithic Portal and Megalith Map : Index >> Stones Forum >> Object South of Wet Withens Stone Circle, Eyam Moor, Derbyshire
New  Reply
AuthorObject South of Wet Withens Stone Circle, Eyam Moor, Derbyshire
AntPDC

from Derbyshire Peak District, England

OFF-Line

Posted 29-08-2012 at 12:48   
I was at Wet Withens yesterday (after spending some time stumbling amongst the heather trying to locate this circle!). Upon return home I was looking at the Satellite Image of this area on Google Earth and noticed a smaller embanked circle about 280 m due S of Withens. I knew there were two other stone circles to the ESE of Withens, so I'd be grateful for any comments on this object before I trudge back to Eyam Moor!

Google maps Link:

Google Maps

[ This message was edited by: AntPDC on 2012-08-29 14:45 ]

Profile   Reply
aknifethatfellfromthesky

from within and without

OFF-Line

Posted 05-09-2012 at 12:43   
hi ant

interesting...i live a mile or so from here and visited wet withins last week. firstly, i noticed the 'erosion' around the 'cairn' that you posted a pic of...i can't help you with any interpretation i'm afraid. secondly, i have not come across the feature that you've pointed out. on the OS map in that approx condition are marked 'cairns'.. it looks, from the aerial photo, very much, in outline, to be like eyam moor 3, embanked circle. its definately worth checking out...when i was there the other day i photographed a stone approx 50m south of wet within with a deep (an inch or so) engraving of a lozenge or diamond. i'm aware that all the stones at wet withins have been carved with initials in historical times and that this stone could also be 'recent' the lozenge or diamond is about 10 inches from top to bottom and about 8 inches in width. the rock is obviously battered by the weather as there isn't much of a patina covering the surface...were you aware there were a number of reports in the past describing an avenue leading south from wet withins? recent studies appear to negate that opinion but as we all know, the study of stones is very rarely a matter of 'fact'..

regards, dean

Profile   Reply
New  Reply
Jump To