Moderated by : Andy B , Klingon , sem , TheCaptain , bat400 , davidmorgan , Runemage , SolarMegalith , Martin_L

The Megalithic Portal and Megalith Map : Index >> General Forum >> Imbolc Celebrations
New  Reply
AuthorImbolc Celebrations
TheDruid-3X3

from Vancouver, BC

OFF-Line

Posted 22-01-2021 at 00:00   

Awens to All:

The Celtic Sabbath of Imbolc is coming up. It is Celebrated on February 1st. It is the Celtic Sabbath Celebrated for being the Time of Year between Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox and is exactly 3 Months from Halloween/Samhain.

I am probably doing to do a little Ceremonial Fire at my Community Garden Allotment.

It is also the time of year that the Tradition of having Hot Crossed Buns.

What sort of things do you guys usually do?

Dave TheDruid-3X3

[ This message was edited by: TheDruid-3X3 on 2021-01-22 00:01 ]

Profile  Email   Reply
marcgreenman

from wroughton

OFF-Line

Posted 12-01-2022 at 09:20   
do you know what the hot crossed bun actually means 3 x 3 i am sure that there is a particular reason behind this tradition

Profile  Email   Reply
TheDruid-3X3

from Vancouver, BC

OFF-Line

Posted 14-01-2022 at 21:13   
The Cross on the Buns is in reference to the Sacred Quarters of North, South, East and West.

3X3

Profile  Email   Reply
TheDruid-3X3

from Vancouver, BC

OFF-Line

Posted 14-01-2022 at 21:34   
Awens to All:

Hot Cross Buns are a Traditional Delicacy of Spring so are made for Imbolc, Spring Equinox as well as Easter.

Here is a Link to 5 Great Historical Myths & Traditions of Hot Cross Buns:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/five-great-myths-about-hot-cross-buns-traditional-pre-easter-pastry-180951130/

Seems they were originally Created by a English Monk Brother Thomas Rodcliffe in 1361 and is to Ward Off Evil Spirits and also to Cement Friendships. Queen Elizabeth I actually decreed that Hot Cross Buns could only be made for Xmas, Easter and for Burials and if you got caught making Hot Cross Buns at any other time, you had to give your Buns to the Poor.

So I guess it is time to go out and get some Hot Cross Buns to Celebrate the Spring Festivals.

3X3

Profile  Email   Reply
marcgreenman

from wroughton

OFF-Line

Posted 15-01-2022 at 21:50   
I imagine I will probably be attending the free and open gorsedd in Avebury before anything else and then proceeding from there. I don't know very much so don't really know any particular customs or traditions to follow

Profile  Email   Reply
Orpbit

from Shropshire

OFF-Line

Posted 18-01-2022 at 22:47   
Druid,

Since when were hot cross buns "delicacies"!

They're stodge, but that's what celebrations are about - stuffing oneself with things 'naughty but nice'.

My son's hot swastika bun-stones

Peter (Stockdale) will be pleased to see these. And this year, hot spiral bun-stones - that should please Kevin (Cropredy) by way of from straight lines to spirals. Ocean navigators drink them down with a brew from r(h)um(b)-lines!

Happy celebrations...

[ This message was edited by: Orpbit on 2022-01-18 22:48 ]

Profile   Reply
TheDruid-3X3

from Vancouver, BC

OFF-Line

Posted 21-01-2022 at 05:12   

Awens:

Those are Navaho Peace Swastika Symbols as they are Angled the Opposite Way as the Nazi Symbol.

3X3

Profile  Email   Reply
BGrisoni

from Memphis, USA

OFF-Line

Posted 24-01-2022 at 15:34   
There is a very interesting article in Archaeology (May/June 2011) about the four royal sites in Ireland: Tara, Emain Macha, Cruachan, and Dun Ailinne. These pre-Christian sites were meant primarily for ceremonies and great gatherings for the four festivals of the times.

Imbolc (or Oimelg) at the beginning of February marking the beginning of the agricultural year and the lambic season.

Beltaine in early May, when nerds and flocks are driven to simmer pastures.

Lughnasa in August, marking the beginning of harvest. A week was devoted a festival of story telling, trading, and games.

Samhain at the beginning of November, when the harvest ended, the herd returned - fasting was the order of the day.

Tara was primarily associated with Samhain

Emain Macha was associated with Lughnasa

Cruachan was associated with Lughnasa and Samhain

Dun Ailinne was associated with Lughnasa

Profile   Reply
Runemage

from UK

OFF-Line

Posted 02-02-2022 at 00:17   
Imbolc and Brighid

"While there are of course no contemporary texts to describe the pagan goddess, this Brigid (Brighid, Brigit, or Bhríde, “Exalted One”) is thought by her devotees to have been a “triple goddess” of poetry, healing and smithcrafting. According to one account she was “born at the exact moment of daybreak, [and] rose into the sky with the sun, rays of fire beaming from her head.”36 Her protection was sought over livestock and agriculture. She was reputed to be the daughter of the great Celtic god Dagda and the Morrigan. As a fertility goddess, her aspects were venerated not only in Ireland but also in Britain and on the continent. The Celtic festival of Imbolc—marking the beginning of spring—midway between the winter solstice and the spring equinox, coincides with the first of February, the feast day of St. Brigid.37 According to her lore, she and her 19 virgin priestesses, called “Daughters of the Flame,” kept the blaze constantly burning in her original fire temple."

quoted from the second half of this page 'Brigid and her Fire Temple'
https://voicesfromthedawn.com/kildare-round-tower-and-fire-temple/

Profile   Reply
New  Reply
Jump To