Moderated by : davidmorgan , Andy B , Klingon , bat400 , sem , Runemage , TheCaptain

The Megalithic Portal and Megalith Map : Index >> Sacred Sites and Megalithic Mysteries >> Bwlch y Cerrig Duon barrow
New  Reply
AuthorBwlch y Cerrig Duon barrow
cerrig

from Brecon Beacons

OFF-Line

Posted 24-09-2023 at 13:16   

Bwlch y Cerrig Duon barrow

In the upper Tawe valley, in the Brecon Beacons, are several varied megalithic monuments, seemingly randomly scattered about the landscape. After studying them for many years there appears to be a connection between them, in the form of a grand stone age scientific endeavour. I have posted detailed information on this here; https://www.megalithic.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=8735&forum=4.

I am mostly concentrating on just the one in this post.

The one illustrated here, which is just a mound, has a unique setting as an Equinox backsight, both rising and setting.

Bwlch y Cerrig Duon barrow, due to its placement directly in the dip of the pass, has some unique sightlines.
The most obvious are the major summits of Pen y Fan and Corn Ddu to the East, and Twr y Fan Foel to the West, the Equinox markers.

The central Beacons, Pen y Fan and Corn Ddu

Bannau sir Gaer, and Twr y Fan Foel.

These two mountain ranges are the highest in this area ( the Beacons are the highest in Southern Britain) and the barrow is sighted such that, on the day of the Equinox, the sun rises over Pen y Fan and sets over Twr y Fan Foel.
There is about 10 miles or so between the barrow and Pen y Fan, and this means that the sun or moon is a very good fit in the bowl between the two peaks, which is about 1/2 degree wide.
The angle of the slopes to the right of Twr y Fan Foel means that some years the sun will set twice on the Equinox.

The Equinox sunrise over Pen y Fan, and the rise through the bowl on the day before and after the Equinox's, neatly framing them.

Sunset on the Equinox's over Twr Y Fan Foel.

The view down the valley towards Cerrig Duon and Maen Mawr, with Maen Leuci on the left and the Quincunx down in the valley bottom close to the river.

Zoomed in image of the circle

Reverse view, North to the barrow, showing it's position in the notch between two horizons. A feature repeated elsewhere in the Beacons.

The barrow itself is in a sorry state now. In several places it has been quarried, and driven over. The mound that is visible now is probably the Western half only, if that.

It does have its own driveway though, and commanding views all around.

There is line of sight with at least 4 stone circles. Cerrig Duon to the South, Ynys Hir 10 miles to the NNE, Banc y Celyn 19 miles to the NE and Pen y Beacon 25 miles to the E.
Rhyd Wen Fach to the West is just unsighted over the brow.

This is one strategically sited barrow.

[ This message was edited by: cerrig on 2023-09-24 14:02 ]

Profile   Reply
jonm

from UK

OFF-Line

Posted 25-09-2023 at 06:35   
Nice work Cerrig

Profile  Email   Reply
cerrig

from Brecon Beacons

OFF-Line

Posted 25-09-2023 at 11:03   
Thanks Jon.

I did try to post a link to this on Skyscape archaeology's Equinox thread, on Twitter, but it wouldn't work?

cerrig

Profile   Reply
jonm

from UK

OFF-Line

Posted 25-09-2023 at 12:23   
Should have worked!

But Twitter's been going downhill rapidly and a lot of archaeologists are moving over to Bluesky (https://bsky.app/)

If you want an invite code to Bluesky: send me an email!

Profile  Email   Reply
cerrig

from Brecon Beacons

OFF-Line

Posted 25-09-2023 at 13:55   
I've got it now, Jon. Thanks.

cerrig

Profile   Reply
New  Reply
Jump To

Sponsors