[< Gallery Home | Latest Images | Top 100 | Submit Picture >]
<< Previous Picture | Next Picture >>
| Broomend of Crichie Avenue |
[800 x 423 jpg]
Unless otherwise stated, this image is the copyright of the submitter. Contact them for permission to reproduce it.
|Description ||Once there were two stone circles here, joined to one another by an avenue of paired monoliths. Of this double row or "avenue" of maybe 80 stones, only 4 survive.
According to Maitland and other authorities a double line of stones about 18m apart extended from a point 450 yards south of the circle, where a number of cist burials were discovered, up to the circle and then on to a second circle (Broomend of Crichie North circle), an overall length of about 500 yards. |
The site of the second circle, a conspicuous viewpoint overlooking the confluence of the River Don with the River Urie, is shown on an estate map of 1870. The circle was described pre-1757 by Maitland as three concentric rows of erect stones with a small cairn in the middle; nearby there was said to have been a flat altar-stone, with a cavity in the upper part, raised on a rough cairn.
More information also on the RCAHMS webpage
(multiple entries for this site).
| This is the view looking S from the henge towards stone A in the middle distance; stones B, C & D are lined up beyond it.|
To post comments first you must Register!
Megalithic Portal eGallery, images of megaliths and prehistoric sites worldwide, free to view.