[< Gallery Home | Latest Images | Top 100 | Submit Picture >]
<< Previous Picture | Next Picture >>
Bodbury Ring[1000 x 576 JPG]
Unless otherwise stated, this image is the copyright of the submitter. Contact them for permission to reproduce it.
|Description ||A small univallate hillfort, survivng from the Iron Age as a ring with a commanding view across the area. It possibly incorporates an earlier cross dyke.
The Ring immediately overlooks Carding Mill Valley, cared for by the National Trust, on the eastern edge of The Long Mynd, also under the NT's care.
Caer Caradoc (Church Stretton) and The Lawley are to its east, and The Wrekin is obvious on the skyline to the north-east. All these are also the sites of hillforts and settlements.
In the family room of the restaurant in Carding Mill Valley, there is an artist's impression of how Bodbury Ring, with Caer Caradoc behind it would have looked with huts, and pallisades upon their earthworks.
This photo shows the commanding position the fort offers - verily a hillfort. The Wrekin is immediately pictured behind, The Lawley, right, and even higher and superior in its defensive situation, Caer Caradoc (Church Stretton) is off picture, across the valley, to the right.
The picture is taken just near The Devil's Mouth Cross Dyke, to the SW of Bodbury Ring.|
|Nice shot. Really shows the hillfort in context of this dramatic landscape.|
To post comments first you must Register!
Megalithic Portal eGallery, images of megaliths and prehistoric sites worldwide, free to view.