[< Gallery Home | Latest Images | Top 100 | Submit Picture >]
<< Previous Picture | Next Picture >>
| Holywell Racecourse |
[750 x 361 JPG]
Unless otherwise stated, this image is the copyright of the submitter. Contact them for permission to reproduce it.
|Description ||The CADW guidebook lists this as cursus, henge and barrow.
From the back of the picture 1) in front of the hay bales in black 'bin bags', can be seen the raised mound of the barrow; 2) across the centre of the picture, left to right, is a dark line, indicating the henge ditch, and 3) the raised ground coming into the bottom left corner shows the remains of the cursus.|
| The first meeting at Holywell was 1774 - the last 1852.|
It was on the gallops next to the racecourse at Holywell where the hon Edward Mostyn and his father had their horses trained.
In 1846 Mostyn pulled off one of the greatest bargains in racing history when he bought the whole of Lord George Bentinck's stud for £10,000. Some 40 horses, in training, brood mares and stallions were sent to Holywell, the other horses were sold for £7,000.
To post comments first you must Register!
Megalithic Portal eGallery, images of megaliths and prehistoric sites worldwide, free to view.