Featured: Explore Scotland (and everywhere else) with our Megalithic Portal iPhone app

Explore Scotland (and everywhere else) with our Megalithic Portal iPhone app

Random Image

Cerro Brujo

John Michell: From Atlantis to Avalon

John Michell: From Atlantis to Avalon

Who's Online

There are currently, 344 guests and 0 members online.

You are a guest. To join in, please register for free by clicking here

Sponsors

Moderated by : Andy B , Klingon , TheCaptain , bat400 , davidmorgan , Runemage , SolarMegalith , sem , Martin_L

The Megalithic Portal and Megalith Map : Index >> Stones Forum >> The Stiperstones
New  Reply
AuthorThe Stiperstones
mynd

OFF-Line

Posted 23-07-2009 at 19:58   
Hello - does anyone know from where the name 'stiperstones' originates? I have done a few Google searches but found nothing to indicate why the hill has that name. Perhaps it is just kind of like 'stepping stones' - but I'm hoping for something more interesting ... I will continue to look myself, but if anyone knows, please tell

Profile   Reply
mynd

OFF-Line

Posted 23-07-2009 at 20:37   
Seems 'stiper' is something to do with quartz... though i can only find a connection in adverts for various products... and Google would rather search for strippers.

Profile   Reply
brigantia

from Yorkshire & Argyll

OFF-Line

Posted 28-07-2009 at 23:31   
Hi there!

Quote:

On 2009-07-23 19:58, mynd wrote:
Hello - does anyone know from where the name 'stiperstones' originates? I have done a few Google searches but found nothing to indicate why the hill has that name. Perhaps it is just kind of like 'stepping stones' - but I'm hoping for something more interesting ... I will continue to look myself, but if anyone knows, please tell

Seems that Stiperstones derives from the old english word, 'stipere', meaning "a prop, (or) a post." (A.H. Smith, English Place-Name Elements, volume 2, 1956:153). The element occurs in various parts of the country. In West Yorkshire we find it in Stiperden, which is the "valley where posts or props occur," or variants thereof. Here it may relate to posts or markers along the ancient boundary.

In old english dialect, stiper is "the post in a doorway against which double doors are shut, one of the four main posts of a wooden loom." (Wright's English Dialect Dictionary )

Hope that's of some help.

atb - Paul

Profile  Email   Reply
mynd

OFF-Line

Posted 04-08-2009 at 21:12   
Hi Paul - thanks for your reply. It's interesting - the stones could certainly be used as 'markers' on a boundary, i guess.

Incidentally - and I'm pretty sure it's not because of the old tales of the place - the Stiperstones gives me the creeps. I think it would make a pretty good no man's land.

Profile   Reply
James

from Joshua Tree, CA. US.High Desert

OFF-Line

Posted 05-08-2009 at 02:16   
Greetings!

Of course, large Standing-Stones were considered Doorways.

/!\

Profile   Reply
karloff

OFF-Line

Posted 05-08-2009 at 08:48   

Quote:

On 2009-08-05 02:16, James wrote:
Greetings!

Of course, large Standing-Stones were considered Doorways.

/!\

Really! Do you want to explain how you know this?

Profile   Reply
mynd

OFF-Line

Posted 05-08-2009 at 19:37   

[ This message was edited by: mynd on 2023-08-14 04:36 ]

Profile   Reply
karloff

OFF-Line

Posted 06-08-2009 at 08:16   

Quote:

On 2009-08-05 19:37, mynd wrote:
The Stiperstones is a natural feature, not standing stones - and the outcrops don't really look like posts or anything door-ish. They are spaced out too far, imo. I reckon it would make a good boundary with very visible markers - as Paul may have been suggesting. It might not even be appropriate to talk about the stiperstones here. I dunno... but it has some significance in local folklore and I imagine it was quite a big influence in more superstitious times - being an imposing and atmospheric place. But then I can't know for sure! I fancy it (or places like it) could have inspired people to build their own stone structures. There is something rather otherwordly or supernatural about it - to me, anyway. As you can tell, I am no expert - just musing.

Hello to everyone, btw. My real name is Rachael.

Hi
I don't think there is a problem with discussing superstitions or folklore on this forum. It is generally excepted that landscapes have narratives, both in terms of social meaning and in folklore. There are current theories that suggest Late Neo/Early Bronze Age monuments are reflecting landscape elements in order to create "perfect" or idealised ritual landscapes. So your suggestion is right on the button in terms of ideas being discussed.

Profile   Reply
mynd

OFF-Line

Posted 06-08-2009 at 20:57   

Quote:

On 2009-08-06 08:16, karloff wrote:
There are current theories that suggest Late Neo/Early Bronze Age monuments are reflecting landscape elements in order to create "perfect" or idealised ritual landscapes.

Thanks Karloff, that's interesting to know.

Profile   Reply
mynd

OFF-Line

Posted 30-10-2009 at 23:43   

[ This message was edited by: mynd on 2010-03-26 10:34 ]

Profile   Reply
New  Reply
Jump To

Sponsors